So, as we end our time here, I thought I'd try and look on the positive side, and write every day about my favorite things about this city. (I realize I haven't finished blogging about my Japan trip, but that seems so far away now... I promise I'll bore you with pictures from Japan when I return if you ask nicely).
Without further ado, my first installment of love letters to Istanbul: KAYMAK.
Kaymak is, according to Wikipedia, "a creamy dairy product, similar to clotted cream, made in the Balkans, Turkey, Middle East, Central Asia, Iran, Afghanistan and India." It's made by boiling buffalo milk until a thick foam appears on top, then it is allowed to cool and is rolled into tiny logs. Turks usually serve it at breakfast w/ the traditional turkish breakfast ingredients (olives, tomatoes, cucumber, bread and white cheese).
According to the author of the excellent food blog Istanbul Eats, Kaymak is the "only food served in Heaven" and the "crack cocaine of Dairy Products."
That is in NO WAY an exaggeration. Seriously, it is the most glorious thing I have ever eaten. It is slighty sweet and unbelievably creamy and light at the same time. Like butter mixed with whipped cream mixed with british clotted cream mixed with cream cheese mixed with the foam at the top of a latte. But actually just having a totally unique taste that nothing else has. It is usually served with Honeycomb, which adds an amazing texture to the already incredible taste.
Our favorite places to get Kaymak in Istanbul are Van Kahvalti Evi (our favorite Kurdish breakfast place) and Kaymak Pando in Besiktas (which is where these pictures were taken). I've heard that there is a "Kaymak man" who walks around our neighborhood selling Kaymak from his wheelbarrow, but I have never run into this glorious man of legend. Probably good for him, because I'd try and run away with his wheelbarrow filled with creamy delicious dairy heaven.
Unfortunately, I can't bring any back for you all to try- Kaymak isn't refrigerated and usually only lasts a day or two before spoiling. But if you are ever in this part of the world, you need to seek it out. Please. Seriously. It's that good. I might even advocate a trip somewhere around here solely for the Kaymak.

0 comments:
Post a Comment